Monday, October 15, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

I procured this recipe from a very dear friend last year when I needed an appetizer for my Thanksgiving dinner I hosted. I learned 3 things when I made this recipe: 1. Don't present a new dish to an unadventurous crowd (needless to say, I ate most of the soup). 2. Butternut squash are very hard to peel and cut; hence, I recommend roasting before cubing. 3. I am totally in love with the butternut squash and I looking into more ways to enjoy said squash. Thank you, Dorothea, for this wonderfully warm and deliciously good recipe.

Butternut Squash Soup

2 Tbsp Butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 med-large butternut squash, seeded, cut in half
1/2 large granny smith apple; peeled, cored, and diced
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cup apple cider (or apple juice)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 apple bourbon (optional)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 thyme (or oregano)
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 Tbsp EVOO
2 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled


-->Preheat oven to 350*. Split the butternut squash down the middle. Remove seeds. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle salt. Roast squash for 45 minutes.


-->While squash is roasting, chop apple and onions. Render bacon on med-hi in a large skillet. Remove excess grease from pan and set aside.


-->15 minutes before squash is done, in a large skillet, on med-lo, melt butter and start sauteing onions and apples. When squash is done, peel and cube (this is a messy process). Add to the onions and apples with the bacon, salt, pepper and thyme. Saute for 5 minutes.


 -->Slowly add the apple cider and apple cider vinegar to the skillet. Let simmer for 5 minutes before slowly adding chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.


 -->In small batches, puree in a food processor until very smooth.


-->Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream or warm apple wedges with cheddar cheese. Enjoy!