Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pulled Pork with Gluten Free Mac and Cheese, Cole Slaw

One our favorite traditions in the south is pulled pork, cole slaw, and baked mac and cheese. I have truly never made pulled pork or mac and cheese before tonight. We are having a dinner party tonight with a young mother and her daughter. This couple has been very important in our lives. The mother and her ex-husband stood with us as witnesses when my husband and I eloped, almost 9 years ago. After we eloped, we had a blessing of our vows with our friends and family. The daughter was our flower girl.
Baked Mac and Cheese has been one of my favorite side dishes. My grandmothers made the best southern baked mac and cheese. One of those dishes that, try as you might, you can't seem to get it right. There is always one ingredient missing. When I started my gluten free and low carb diet, mac and cheese went by the wayside. Now that I am at the point in my weight loss journey that I am stabilized, I am able to add some carbs back into my diet once or twice a week. With the many gluten free products out on the market, I am able to make my beloved mac and cheese, gluten free now. Happy Eating!!

Pulled Pork with Gluten Free Mac and Cheese, Cole Slaw


Pulled Pork
5 lb Boston Butt Pork
4 Tbsp Ruth's Sweet and Smoky BBQ Rub*
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Cup water



-->Rub down the pork with Ruth's Sweet and Smoky BBQ Rub and place in a crock-pot. Drizzle with Olive oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, and water. Cook for 5 hours on High, then turn to low for 2 hours; for a total of 7 hours.




-->Remove any bones from the pork. Place on a large platter. With 2 forks, pull the pork apart. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce and rolls.



Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
1 box of gluten free pasta of your choice
1 package of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1/4 gluten free bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste


-->Cook pasta according to directions on package. Drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Preheat oven to 325*F.


-->Mix with melted butter, 3/4 of the package of cheese, and heavy whipping cream.


-->Place in a medium greased baking dish. Layer the rest of the cheese and gluten free bread crumbs on top.


-->Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, until the cheese is all bubbly.




Cole Slaw
1 bag of cole slaw
1/2 container of cole slaw dressing


-->Mix together and serve.



Waiting for our guests







*Ruth Sweet and Smoky BBQ Rub is a mixture of brown sugar, paprika, cumin, pepper, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, and thyme. I will be doing a post with the exact measures for this rub and several other rubs and mixes that I have created.