Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sausage Lentil Stew

I discovered this dish on a girl's weekend this past year in Savannah. My dietary needs can sometimes be a little restrictive when I am dining out. On this particular outing, I found this particular stew. I had never had lentils before, but always wanted to try them. I thought to myself, "Self, it is time to try these lentils," and considering there was nothing else on the menu that fit into my diet plan; I tried said lentils and absolutely loved them. Loved them so much that I when I got home, I bought the ingredients for the stew that I tried and made some. Hence, my version of Sausage Lentil Stew was created. This simple, hearty stew is great for the end of a long day out in the cold. Enjoy!

Sausage Lentil Stew


1 lb mild Italian sausages, cut into "balls"
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/3 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup uncooked lentils
2 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste


-->In a large and deep skillet on medium-high heat, brown sausage balls until cooked completely.


-->Bring 2 cups of water with salt to a rapid boil; add lentils and reduce heat to med-hi. Let simmer while the sausages cook.


-->Once the sausages are cooked, add onions, peppers, and celery. Saute until onions are translucent.


-->Remove lentils from heat and set to one side. Add stewed tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.



-->Add lentils, and water from lentils, to sausage mix. Stir, place lid on skillet, and let simmer for 15 minutes.


-->Remove from heat and remove lid. Let stew rest for 5 minutes and then serve with your favorite bread. Happy Eating!!