At first, I was wary of the diary free cheese products. In the last 6 months, I have become increasingly sensitive to dairy. I broke down one day when I found a gluten free and dairy free pizza. I was overjoyed and seriously craving pizza. I tried it. This is good. Then I looked on the back of the box and noticed the product brand also made diary free cheese shreds and cheese blocks. Our local Kroger surprisingly carried the product. Thus, my round about explanation is complete.
I hope you enjoy this spin on the classic lasagna.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Butternut Squash Lasagna
You will need:
1 lb butternut squash, cubed
1/2 cup onions, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups baby spinach
Salt and Pepper to taste
Pinch of Rosemary, nutmeg and thyme
1 jar gluten free marinara sauce
1 package gluten free lasagna noodles, cooked according to package
1 package Daiya dairy free mozzarella shreds
1/2 cup vegetable broth
- In a large skillet, on medium heat, saute squash, onions and zucchini. Season to taste,
- When the squash is soften, add garlic, broth and a handful of cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree, prepare baking dish by adding a spoonful of marinara sauce to bottom,
- Add spinach to skillet. Remove skillet from heat when spinach starts to wilt.
- Now it's time to start layering. Start with the noodles, then add a thin layer of sauce, sprinkle cheese, then the vegetable mixture, sprinkling more cheese, then another layer of noodles. Repeat until you run out of noodles, sauce, mix and cheese.
- You will want your last layer to be noodle, sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. This cheese does not like to melt as well as I would like. Just FYI, the top layer of cheese will be on the crunchy side.
- Enjoy with a glass of wine and your favorite gluten free bread!