Cheesy Beefy Rice

As always, I am looking for new recipes for my family. I search everywhere, Pinterest, countless cook books, the internet, friends and family. This recipe I happened upon when scanning through Pinterest one evening. The original recipe calls for ground hamburger and regular diced tomatoes. Well, I figured I could spice it up a bit with sirloin beef cubes, fire roasted tomatoes, and a few of my own spices. As usual, my intuition was spot on and my family can't get enough of it. I hope you enjoy this quick and easy recipe for one of your week night dinners. Happy eating.

Cheesy Beefy Rice

You will need:
1 lb sirloin beef cubes (cut very small)
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
2 handful baby spinach
1 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
2 cups of shredded Colby and cheddar mix. (or hot pepper cheese for some spice)
salt
pepper
paprika
dry mustard

Directions:
  • Heat a large skillet with 3 Tbsp oil (I use coconut oil) on med-hi.
  • Saute onions and brown beef with the spices to taste. Adding a Tbsp or so of vegetable broth when needed.
  • When the beef is browned and the onions translucent, add the garlic and tomatoes with another Tbsp or so of the vegetable broth. (The purpose of the broth is to keep the meat from drying out.)
  • Simmer for 5 minutes on med-hi, then add the rice. Stir and then add spinach. 
  • When the spinach starts to wilt, add the cheese slowly, mixing so as not to stick to the bottom of the pan. You may remove the pan from the heat at this junction. 
  • Let sit for 3-5 minutes before transferring to platter and serving. 
  • Happy Eating!



Comments

Popular Posts