Ham and Pea Casserole

Growing up in a family who had their own garden in the backyard, one would think that any and all vegetables were her friend. I was a selective child and continue to be a selective adult. The selective-ness has now included many a vegetable that otherwise my 12 year old self would turn her nose up at. I have discovered the joys of onions, peppers, cucumbers, squashes, and now the sweet green pea.
The pea and I have had a violent history, mostly, actually all on my end of the fork. The poor pea has been squished, flicked, tossed, mashed, and thrown at various a younger sibling, in the attempt as not to eat.
All attempts were successful until one day one landed in my Shepherd's Pie by accident. A love affair began when the first squishy pea landed in my mouth. shh ..don't tell my hubby. Since then, the pea has been housed in my freezer as a staple in many a recipe.
I discovered this recipe years ago in a magazine but was apprehensive of trying it because of said squishy pea. Now that my love affair has begun, this dish was on the top of my list to try. So, here it is, with a few changes. Happy Eating!!

Ham and Pea Casserole
1/8 cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp butter
1/8 cup water
1/2 cup of diced onion
1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
8 strips of green bell pepper
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 small Ham steak, diced
2 cups of frozen sweet green peas
4 eggs
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
1/2 cup cooked rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp Italian seasoning


-->Preheat oven to 400*F.
-->In a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat, add olive oil and butter. Heat for 5 minutes.
-->Add onions and diced green bell peppers. Saute for 5 minutes.


-->Add garlic and diced ham. Turn heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes.


-->Add peas, rice, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and water. Simmer for 15 minutes.


-->Make four indentations in pea mixture. Break one egg at a time into a small bowl and carefully slide into the indentation. Frame egg with bell pepper strips, two per egg. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes.



-->Enjoy for Breakfast, lunch or dinner with your favorite bread. These directions make 2 servings.


Comments

Popular Posts