Hoppin' Johns with Cubed Steak and Sauteed Cabbage

In my household, there is a mergance of southern and northern traditions. My husband is from Ohio. Raised in a community with Italian, German, and Polish families living side by side. A melding of cultures with delicious food and strong personalities. His tradition included sauerkraut, cabbage, kielbasa, and potatoes.
My background couldn't be more different. Raised in the south with very southern women and men surrounding my life. Fried chicken, sweet tea, corn bread, baked mac and cheese were the foundations of my childhood. For New Years dinner, my family would gather around the table to the smells of collards, cornbread, black eyed peas, and a nice steak (the only steak we would eat all year.) I am pretty sure there were other foods, but the a fore mentioned are the foods that stick out distinctly in my mind.
This year, I have decided to combine some of the traditions from both our families. Instead of using ground sausage in my hoppin' johns, I used kielbasa. Since I forgot the sauerkraut, I made sauteed cabbage instead.
My hope for you this new year is that whatever you eat, enjoy  it to the fullest. May your home be filled with laughter of friends and family and the smells of delicious meals. Happy New Year!

Hoppin' Johns with Cubed Steak and Sauteed Cabbage

1 bag of frozen Black eyed peas

1 cup Instant brown rice
1/2 cup of diced onions
1/2 cup of diced kielbasa
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp butter

3 cubed steaks 
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 cup beef broth

2 cups green cabbage
2 cups purple cabbage
1 cup onion slices
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp beef broth



-->In a large sauce pan, bring 3 cups of water to boil with the black eyed peas and a dash of salt. Keep the peas boiling for 30 minutes. 




-->In a smaller sauce pan, make the instant rice per package. 
-->In a large skillet on med-hi, add butter. Saute onions and kielbasa. Add to rice and set aside.




-->In the heated skillet, add olive oil. Season the cubed steaks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brown both sides on med-high. Add beef broth, turn to med-lo and let simmer.




-->While the meat is cooking, in the smaller sauce pan, heat butter and olive oil on med-hi. Add cabbage and onions. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Saute until onions and cabbage are translucent.




-->By now, the timer for the black eyed peas should have dinged. Add the rice and kielbasa to the peas, cover and let simmer for 7-10 minutes; adding water when needed.
-->Serve with cornbread and your favorite beverage for a Happy New Year!



Comments

Popular Posts