Dirty Rice

Dirty rice has always been one of my favorite meals. When I was diagnosed with Celiac's, I started reading every single label that I buy from the store. Some of the simplest foods that one would never think would have wheat products or gluten in them, do. This has made buying quick make meals very difficult for my family. On the other hand, it has forced my family to be a little more healthy. Creating things from scratch is something that I love to do, so creating this recipe for Dirty Rice was not much of a challenge, but fun nonetheless.  I have perfected it over the last year and changed some of the ingredients (did you know that beef broth has wheat in it?). I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Dirty Rice

You will need:
1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
1 lb ground meat
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 red sweet bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 8oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cup white rice, precooked
1 cup vegetable broth
To taste: garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
dash of lime juice
2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce (I use Texas Pete's Cha! sauce)




Directions:
--> In a large skillet, brown sausage and meat, drain 3/4 of the grease. 
-->Saute the vegetables with the cooked meat. Season vegetables with pinches of salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika. Add 1 Tbsp of the Cha! and a dash of lime juice.
-->Add the rice to the skillet with the remainder of the Cha!, the broth, and spices to your taste Simmer for 10-15 minutes on med-lo heat. 


Happy Eating!!




Comments

Popular Posts