Rustic Tomato Soup

This soup y'all! I have always loved tomato soup. The soup of rainy and cold days. Great with cheese toasties, curled up on the couch with your favorite blanket and book. It's warm and comforting. Reminiscences of childhood. 
When I was diagnosis with Celiacs, I searches every supermarket for gluten free tomato soup. Campbell's you have failed me. So, as with most of my favorite things I use to eat, I decided to make a homemade version. This version has been tweeted, tested, and approved by multiple friends and family members. It took me multiple attempts to get this version the way I wanted it. So here is the final version. The most requested recipe during the winter months from my husband. From my kitchen to yours. 



Rustic Tomato Soup

You will need: 
3-4 large Heirloom tomatoes
1 package of Wild Wonders gourmet melody tomatoes
1 small yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
1 yellow sweet bell pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp herb d'Provence
1 Tbsp brown or coconut sugar
1/4 cup almond milk
1/8-1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste (I use sun dried tomato paste)


-->Preheat oven to 365*, line baking sheet with parchment paper
-->Score Heirloom tomatoes, rough chop onions and peppers, peel garlic.
-->Place all vegetables on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, herb d'Provence and coconut/brown sugar. Roast for 35-38 minutes. 
-->Take 1/3 of the vegetables with a third of the milk, broth and paste, place into a food processor and puree until smooth. Repeat 2 more times. On the final round, include the "juice" from the roasting pan.
-->Mix together in a large bowl, serve immediately.
*I prefer the rustic appeal of the soup un-strained, but you can strain the soup before serving. 
Serve with cheese toasties and a side of bacon. 
Happy Eating!

Comments

Popular Posts